Poor quality and lack of sleep can on a fundamental basis compromise our nervous, endocrine and immune systems. This can then lead to a host of other diseases such as depression, high blood pressure and diabetes to name but a few. In today’s fast paced world we can all too easily neglect something so essential to our basic wellbeing.
If you are a teeth clencher or grinder looking for some more holistic ways so manage this issue why not give some attention to your sleep routine- something so important for your overall health?
Here are our 5 top tips for a sound night’s sleep:
1. Avoid stimulants such as alcohol, caffeine and sugar for at least 2 hours before bedtime. There is a direct link between alcohol consumption and teeth grinding.
2. Drink enough fluid at night to keep from waking up thirsty—but not so much that you are getting up at night to go to the bathroom. Also try to avoid drinking anything up to 2 hours before bedtime.
3. Unwind in the last hour before bed doing something relaxing such as having a warm bath or meditating. This does not mean trawling through Facebook or sending work emails!!
4. Maintain a regular sleep routine. Try to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day. The few hours before midnight few hours before midnight and try to wake before the sunrise. Wake up at the same time.
5. Getting some sunlight (20 minutes is plenty) during the day will help you to sleep better at night. Sunlight stimulates the production of melatonin (our sleep hormone) through our eyes, along the optic nerve and to our pineal glands. So whilst avoiding looking at the sun is best not to wear sunglasses.