Are amalgam filling bad for you?
A 2005 World Health Organisation report states that mercury may cause harmful effects to the nervous, digestive, respiratory, immune systems and to the kidneys, besides causing lung damage. Adverse health effects from mercury exposure can be: tremors, impaired vision and hearing, paralysis, insomnia, emotional instability, developmental deficits during foetal development, and attention deficit and developmental delays during childhood. Recent studies suggest that mercury may have no threshold below which some adverse effects do not occur.”
In other words, there is no safe level of exposure to mercury.
Several European countries including Germany, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have stopped using mercury amalgam as a filling material in recent years.
Mercury is also known to be released during the placement, replacement, and removal of dental mercury amalgam fillings. The mercury in fillings releases low levels of mercury vapour, which is absorbed into the bloodstream and dispersed throughout the body.
Getting some fillings done? Choose the right dentist!
It is important to distinguish between a mercury free dentist and a mercury safe dentist. A mercury free dentist will not use mercury amalgam as a filling material but may not apply safety measures to protect you (and them) from mercury exposure.
At Anokhi Dental we are SMART accredited and follow strict protocols to ensure your protection when having mercury amalgam fillings removed. SMART is the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, which is a set of strict safety measures to reduce mercury exposure during dental amalgam filling removal. These protocols were developed as a result of scientific research collected by the IAOMT. Read our next blog to find out more about SMART!
PLEASE NOTE: Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.